Friday, July 19, 2013

Game Sketches



Before my Internet connection is shut off I want to make a quick update on what I have been doing. I have realized that the story game that I set out to make was maybe more complicated than what I want to make right now, so I have been just messing around with Klik & Play to see what everything does. I will upload some of these when I make something that I am really happy with. I have been making these sort of reactionary shooter puzzles. The basic sort of mechanics to each of these games are that there is a character player that can fire off a projectile in some way and if fired at the right object can fire off another object and if the player shoots that different object with another specific projectile then the sort of puzzle is "solved".

These games alone are probably even more complicated than what I should be making right now, but they are keeping my interest and that is what I have heard is important. I read an article published on GameCareerGuide about how amateur game developers should just make finished games. Brice Morrison writes about how it is really hard to motivate one's self to actually finish a game. This struck me because I have made a countless amount of game with my friends and I have virtually nothing to show from it other than some sprites that I made for the different games. Experience has been gained from these different unfinished games, but in completing the few games that I have recently I have been able to move on and feel accomplished. This energy that I got from participating in MolyJamDeux lead me to making this blog.

I am going to take the advice that Morrison gave. I am going to show a few friends my game for critique so that discussion can motivate me into finishing the product. I am also going to post a playable version of my game on the TIGSource Feedback Forums to get some possible feedback from the community. Also, I have read some other threads on the feedback forums in order to discuss things with other developers, to help them and to learn from what they are going through. I am also going to give myself a deadline for my Breaking Bad game in order to just move on and be able to make other long games. I have been in a bit of a pickle with the game currently because of the amount of writing that I am forcing myself to do, but I think just forcing myself to write will be better than not having a finished game. I am going to have the game finished by the first week of August in time for all the other Breaking Bad festivities in the New York City area.

Maybe I am just being self motivated, but any way to trick myself into becoming more motivated is still making me more motivated. Trick yourself into making games future game developers!




No comments:

Post a Comment