Saturday, July 20, 2013

XP Mode



Klik n Play which was made in 1994 and people still make games today in 2013 with the same software. However, there have been some setbacks, but one that I had not yet thought about was accessibility. Not only is Klik n Play PC only, but Klik n Play can only run using XP Mode. I have been using a PC the only has Windows XP so I did not think twice about this setback until I tried setting it up on my Vista PC in my studio that is not connected to the Internet, so downloading XP Mode is kind of a pain.

This situation reminds me of reading Claire Bishop's Digital Divide. I talked to my professor at the time about a project I did with Super Nintendo Entertainment Systems and he told me to read the Digital Divide and brought up some interesting points. In summation, he said that older technologies especially things with pixel graphics have a loaded nostalgia that is hard to separate. Despite this, I believe that using old technologies today is not obsolete. There is much to say about progress by using older technologies. Also, no medium has been "fully" explored, so to negate a technology seems to deny potential.

No comments:

Post a Comment