Wednesday, August 14, 2013

In Between Two Games/Where Should I Live?!


Where Should I Live?

So, for the past month I have not had a job in order to finish "Breaking Bread", a few comic book projects left from school, my general portfolio, and to figure out what I want to do career wise. I am now at the dilemma of either staying in Brooklyn, finding a new job, and new place to live, or going home, finding a job, finishing my computer science degree, and then a new place to live afterwards. Either path I take I will either be in Dayton or Brooklyn only for the next year or so because by then I will hopefully be at graduate school (which is something I need to figure out too). I would like to continue making games and such, but for the next few weeks I need to work like crazy because my feeling right now is to stay in New York just because of the amount of jobs, opportunities, and experiences. I have a fear of going back to Dayton because I do not want to go back and become stuck.

The thing is, either place I go I will still continue making games. In Ohio I will possibly have more free time, but the environment will not be as conducive to the process due to the lack of critically thinking people to interact with. In New York, there will be more people to talk to about critical subjects, but there are plenty of distractions, money is harder to make and to keep. Also, the idea of studying computer science again leans me to going back to Ohio, though I could easily study it on my own enough in order to make games.



Finishing My First Game!

I have made plenty of games with my friends from home, but I never finished anything. People would always become busy, or we would not make progress on something for a while, so things would just die off. It feels exhilarating to have finished a game, though made in Klik & Play, a game made by myself in a sense, without a team or partner to directly work with. There was a part near the end of the development where I got caught up and frustrated with some of how the game was working, but it was just a hump I had to get over. That hump was the sort of thing that stopped past projects from being finished, so it felt like a big thing to overcome.

How I Overcame the Hump

"Breaking Bread"'s interaction is mostly dialogue tree based, so things became confusing to edit. My mistake was to only write the dialogue and how the dialogue interacts in the program. During the end of development I started writing down all of the dialogue and drawing out lines to see how things connect. This helped me see how things connected easily! It also helped me write things and edit things in a way where I would not be afraid to edit things just because of how difficult it would be to change them later. This way of working also makes it a lot easier to troubleshoot if I did something out of order or forgot to add in some dialogue. I am starting a few other dialogue based games that are similar in interaction, and I am definitely going to start writing them down beforehand!




No comments:

Post a Comment