Saturday, August 17, 2013

MolyJam Pt.2


Cool Games

Now that I am looking on the Games section of MolyJam, some of the games that I thought were most interesting are not featured. There was a realtor text based game and another game that had the player resize distorted photos to their correct size that I cannot find. One of them that I did find was "MolyNews". Moly News is a game in which the player plays as Peter Molyneux and has to choose different jumbled sections of actual Molyneux quotes to make complete responses to a journalists questions. Check it out!

"Limbo-esque"

At MolyJamDeux there were several teams that used the term "Limbo-esque" to talk about the game they had made. This bothered me for several reasons. While I think Limbo is a good game I am annoyed about how people talk about it. When people hear that I like freeware, downloadable, or "indie" games people often say, "Oh, have you played Limbo?" This is notable because Limbo has had a clear impact on people outside of the indie community. What I often hear about what people thought was interesting about Limbo was primarily the graphical style. People label it as artsy because the depictions are in black and white, cartoony, and vague. Though the primary gameplay mechanics are never elaborated on and the graphics were very stylish, I still enjoyed the game.

I enjoyed the game for the way story was incorporated with gameplay mechanics; this is not what the people who described their games as "Limbo-esque" meant. I have a problem with this because it equated black and white graphics, platform mechanics, and mood to things that make good games.

No comments:

Post a Comment